Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Celeste Thompson - Write a poem a day for National Poetry Month

Celeste Thompson at Ardent Shanty has accepted a challenge to write a poem a day for National Poetry Month.
April is national poetry month. I've committed to writing a poem every day this month, and I'll post the results of that goal on here.

When I decided to do this, I brainstormed some topics to write about. The immediate themes that came to mind were birds, music, sex, food, and fish. Hmmm. Those are things I always write about, so it's apparent that I need to think outside the box for some fresh ideas.
This is her first effort:

Describing Nokkelost* to Disarmingly Handsome and Unfailingly Polite Mr. C

Nutty, creamy, and spicy. Intensifies with age.
Supple. Elastic. Smooth.
Fragrant clove buds hide inside these pale, creamy walls.
Slight saltiness lingers on the lips.
Semihard. Aged. Generous fat content.

Sometimes smells like rye.



*Nokkelost is a Norwegian cheese, banned in the US over mad cow disease fears.

Seems like a great challenge - if anyone else decides to join in, please send me a link to your blog. I might even join in over at Integral Options Cafe.


1 comment:

Puerhan said...

My Poetry Mala - writing a poem a day for 108 days - is still ongoing over at http://puerhan.blogspot.com/

While not specifically related to the US National Poetry Month I will be writing one a day, sometimes more, during all of April.

Best wishes.